Seen. Mark as unread.

Seen. Mark as unread.

I first started using mobile phone in 2005. There was no 'seen' or 'mark as unread' features for text messages. Text messages were also free for many months on Aircel. We even hacked it to send it for free when it was over. Only delivery report was and is available for text messages.

Now majority of people text messages on Facebook or on Whatsapp. And new generation kids do this on Snapchat, for which I have zero knowldege.

And these two services have seen feature. Which is great.

But not always.

I send at least 60-70 messages every day on Facebook. Maybe more than this. It takes around 30 minutes. Sometimes less. Sometimes more than this. I use UC Web browser in Facebook faster mode. To any Facebook users. Which is not what normal people do. I do this for my study. And also for my new Facebook page, which is my passion project.

Since May 2014, I have been sending messages. It must have reached 200,000 users. Maybe more than this.

Facebook must be very angry at me. As they have to spend some extra data for my messages to store on thier system. I will pay if they ask me to pay.

But I dont do photos. I have seen people uploading 20,000 plus high resolution photos. Which is a huge data. So I know Facebook will not ask me for payment.

99.9999 per cent time I dont check who will be my message recievers. I dont check thier Facebook profile. I dont know who they are. (I only know the gender. Thats all. When I see we have mutual friends, I am happy that my messages will reach in thier inboxes. And not other folder. Or spam folder.) As it takes time. Also, as it discourages me somtimes not to send message to that person if I know him/her personally. (Moslty to girls whom I know personally but I dont talk to.) I feel 100 per cent okay now to send message to any strangers. Who may help me.

But, this strategy has made my messages land into inboxes of girls who rejected me. Which is very. Very. Embarrassing. So now I make sure I dont repeat to some names.

Sometimes I just check sent messages which are in my inbox. To see who has seen it. Those people with whom I have interacted, I put them on Archive list. As the number of people to whom I have sent messages to number of people who replied to me is in the ratio 200:1. Maybe less. I dont count it. It is not important. So when I want to interact again with people who have helped me by replying to my messages, I can go there on the Archive list to find them easily. Otherwise I have to search from many people in inbox to interact with the ones who replied to me if I didnt list them on the Archive list. Which is time consuming. Also, which makes you realise again and again that there are many people who has not seen or responded to my message.

When I send a message to person A, if A and me have no mutual friends, then 99 per cent time the message goes to other folder of A. And thus 99.99 per cent time the message will not be read by A.

There are people who check other folder also. It mostly happens when they access Facebook on computers. I asked people where they recieved my message and they said other folder. And their messages to me are marked as sent from web.
Usually they are people whom I found from popular and vibrant Facebook pages. Of people whose comments on page posts have recieved many likes. Like those whose comments got many likes and replies on HONY posts. I have interacted with more than 100 people who made top comments on HONY posts. I asked them. And they said folder folder. As we dont have mutual friends. But they do check other folder.

I dont know what this spam folder is. I dont recieve any message here. And also no respondents said spam folder. Maybe no one has checked it there.

Ok this blog post is not about how I send messages.

But when the reciever is someone you know. Or your friend on Facebook. Or your Whatsapp contact to whom you have said hi.

And when it is marked seen. And when you dont get response. For many minutes. Or hours. Or days.

Then you feel something. Other time you feel nothing at all. Sometimes you feel oh he must have forgotten it. Oh he/she must be busy.

Also sometimes you feel wtf.  Sometimes you feel why did I send it. Wtf.

But whatever. You have no control. You have to love. You have to do more.

Most importantly. It Gives You Signal to improve yourself. Your wording. Your authenticity. It gives you  opportunity to improve yourself. Which is great.

You face failure. Which is even greater.

I will allow myself fail many times. Then to succeed everything at first attempts. As it is boring. There is no fun. Which is the greatest thing I like.

Also, there is nothing as it will fit all things.

But seen and mark as unread are great features. To some extent. For bad or worst. To count your true relationships. To know who you are. To anyone. Which is a great given thing of this new technological innovation era.

Back in 2005, I always wanted to know whether the reciever had seen/read my email messages. I asked the cyber internet guy. He said it is impossible. It was when the email was the medium. Still email gives no facility. This seen and thus mark as unread facility.

Yes I can turn off seen/read feature on Whatsapp. Or mark as unread on Facebook. Both of which I dont do.

5 July 2015

Comments