Clicking UNFRIEND:

Clicking UNFRIEND:

There is a recognition of the limitations of algorithmic curation of NewsFeed on Facebook. (Which I always hated about Facebook.) Of what I should see on Facebook by Facebook itself. Which is some algorithms deciding what I must eat when I am sitting on the Facebook dinner table.

Now the newly launched "See First" feature (which will be introduced shortly in all places) will make me see updates from any person I like to see on TOP of my NewsFeed--which will give me NewsFeed of my own curation. Now I get to choose what I must eat from the menu.

As a thinking man I should not consider unfriending anyone. Because you dont want to see shitty stuff from people you unfriended--as this was the main reason cited by majority of my respondents on why they unfriended people. Which is also true for me. But I dont accept friends to unfriend later. Life is not that easy. This is abnormal.

There is an unfollow feature which makes you remain friends with someone on Facebook but you get no updates from that unfollwed person. He/she is totally dead. For you. On Facebook.

Then why friend with them? I dont know. You decide. I dont talk with all my siblings all the time. But they are my siblings. I dont cut off the relationships.

I had unfriended all of my old friends on Facebook. Because of my study. Last year. I sent friend requests again to all of them. With an apology and also with the reason why I did that shitty thing as a message. Majority of them accepted. A few didnt accept it. ( 5 or 10. I forget now.) Which is a sad thing. But also it teaches me who am I to them. Also, to some extent what should they be to me. Which is sad to discover. But is always great. Which is what I dislike about Facebook. This was not possible to know even when I fight physically with anyone.

Some say "dude it's social media". Ok. Thats ok. I am not friends with my sisters on Facebook. Because I dont feel like friends with them. I dont like to show my personal stuff. They might not like me to see theirs too. This is my culture. Very less number of siblings introduce each other boyfriend /girlfriend.

When I send you friend request. With a message. And you have read it. And you dont accept my request. When I see you. Should I smile? Or talk? I dont know what to do. Though I have not met anyone. Who has not accepted me. I just can't imagine meeting you. Because I take that as an insult. ( Yes seriously. This is me. My brain. Not others'. Not you.) Also that you are not my friend. As friends dont do that stuff. If they do, consider them as not friends.

Am I going to far? About Facebook! Yes, I am about Facebook. There is no difference. I get to choose it. It does not matter. I choose it. Not by anyone.

You recieve wedding invites on Facebook. Are you going to respond? Or not? You dont respond Because "dude it is Facebook".

I have not responded to one invite. Or two. Because I am bad. I feel very sorry for myself. Because I am shit. How will I meet them! I will apologise. Which will be my first words.
I have no gut to apologise on Facebook. I just dont feel okay doing it on Facebook.

Unfriending is an aberration. A joke. Which should not be there at all. At least on Facebook.

http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/should-you-check-whos-unfriended-you-facebook

13 July 2015

Comments